News Archive for Friday, August 16th, 2013 Go to Current News Page|
Mac Upgrades/Mods | CPU Upgrades | Storage | Video | Audio/HT | Apps/OS/Network | Search
Miss a Day? See the Archives
= Recent Articles/Updates =
(Send Tips/Reports/Questions to news at xlr8yourmac.com)
|Apple replacement program for 27in iMac Radeon 6970M Video Card Failures:|
(Repair program expired. Apple article no longer online, so info below retained for reference.)
What you need to know about the AMD 6970M card replacement program with warranty extension:
"iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program
Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer's display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.
If your iMac has an AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card and is exhibiting any of the issues described above, choose one of the following options to arrange to have your iMac evaluated:
- Apple Retail Store: Set up a Genius Bar appointment.
- Apple Authorized Service Provider: Find one here.
- Apple Technical Support: Contact us for local service options.
Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.
If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for three years after the first retail sale of the computer.
(Update: A June 4th, 2014 revision to the Apple article extended the period to 4 years.)
If you believe you have paid for a repair or replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.
This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.
Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further updates to this program as needed."
This iMac series is referred to as "Mid 2011", although Apple revised the program article to remove that on Saturday (Aug 17th. 2013), perhaps to avoid confusion. (As of mid August 2013, they are still available at times at the Apple Store Refurbished Macs listing.)
|iTunes 11.0.5 Released (fix iTunes in the Cloud issue)|
(D/L button on linked page goes to www.apple.com/itunes/download/)
"About iTunes 11.0.5
This update corrects an issue with iTunes in the Cloud, where some purchases may download or play unexpected items.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: support.apple.com/kb/HT1222. (nothing there on this update. may be leftover boilerplate.)
To download iTunes 11.0.5 for Windows 64 bit: support.apple.com/kb/DL1615.
Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or later
Windows XP SP2 or later, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8"
|Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
Listing/links to Updates, Mods, Upgrade articles, tips and reviews you may have missed.
= From my Sponsor - your click matters =
More Memory = A Faster Mac!
Use our memory guide to see how much RAM your Mac can use and the cost.
Our installation videos make this a simple "DIY" job for almost any Mac.
Or Search for Upgrades for Your specific Mac Model
|Previous Day's News Summary:|
Thursday August 15th, 2013 News Archive
- Tip for newly installed SSD/HDD not seen in (2012) Mac Mini
- Tutorial: Timeline Markers in Final Cut Pro X
- Using Disk Images To Keep Private Data Private
- Remotely Assembled Malware Blows Past Apple's Screening Process
- Bug in Mountain Lion Mail Still Sends Replies Using Incorrect Accounts
- Apple Redesigns MagSafe & Invents New Flexible Audio Connector
- Movie Review: 'Jobs' is about Apple more than the man
- Short Review of WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo
- Review of Plants vs. Zombies 2 for iOS
- Apple Support/How-To/Troubleshooting Article Updates:
- iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer
- Finding your OS X version and build information
- You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash
- iTunes and iOS: Change the name of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Other New/Reviews/Tips/Tech/OT:
- Humble Origin Games Bundle (expires 8/27/2013)
- Samsung OLED TV: Best picture we've ever seen
- Can A $199 Home Alarm the Size of a Beer Can Protect You?
- Devices Connect with Borrowed TV Signals, Need No Power Source
- Microsoft-Backed Software Turns Any Surface Into Touch Screen
- A Novel Way to Cut the Cost of Advanced Biofuels
- Microsoft pulls more Patch Tuesday updates
- IBM buys Trusteer to form cybersecurity lab
- REL Habitat1 On-Wall Wireless Subwoofer
For links to older news pages, see the Archives.
OWC XYM SPECIALS!
= UPGRADES by Model =
Upgrades for YOUR Mac!
= Refurb Mac Pros =
(Click for Current List)
= SSDs up to 4TB =
SSDs for Most Macs!
= ThunderBolt =
Drives, Docks & More
= HARD DRIVES =
Up to 8 TB HDD
HGST, WD, Seagate, Toshiba
= 2.5" HDs & DIY Kits =
Notebook Hard Drives and DIY drive/case kit bundles
= MEMORY =
Lifetime warranty RAM Upgrades!
= OPTICAL DRIVES =
Internal and External Superdrives/Blu-Ray drives
= VIDEO / AUDIO =
Graphics cards, Displays, Adapters, Cables & more
= SOFTWARE =
Apps, Utilities, OS, VM, Games and more
= WIRELESS =
WiFi and Bluetooth Devices/Adapters/More
= Repair Service =
for iPhone, iPad, Macs
= iPad/iPhone/iPod =
Accessories, Cases & More
NuGuard KX iPhone Case *Extreme* Drop Tested!